Sunday, August 8, 2010

Book party recap


August 5th, 2010
Thursday night was an exciting evening at Powerhouse Arena in Brooklyn. The bookstore has a large open space with a gallery and many art and design books, novels and children’s books. I was pleased that Powerhouse hosted the book party for my craft book, “Beasties: How to Make 22 Mischievous Monsters That Go Bump in the Night.” The book was published by Perigee, an imprint of Penguin(USA).


The musical sounds of the band, The Debutante Hour kicked off the party with a few songs about Zombies who have an “insatiable appetite for brains and guts.” Every time I listen I can’t stop smiling and laughing. There is always something new I discover about the song lyrics. Maria and Susan played away wearing some cheeky vintage swimsuits and floral swim caps. Check out their music at http://www.thedebutantehour.com


Speaking at the book party allowed me talk about my creative process and how I came to write the book. The book has wonderful photos taken by photographer Tory Williams. Those who attended could see the 3-D Beasties in person that I brought along. Seeing the actual tactile version is important! I also gave a quick demo on how to make a Zombie. The party also had a raffle that gave away three Fish-Head Alien tote bags. They were filled with cotton fabrics, buttons, needles, and beads to help you get started on Beastie making. There were also plenty of free Beastie buttons to take home and wear.

No comments: